A while back I wrote and presented the difficulties I had had with Worldwide Photography Gala Awards (WPGA) and the promised publication of the book, Portraits and People Around the World, II. I am pleased to write now that the book actually got published and I purchased my three copies. I feel that I had a small part in fulfilling that promise although, at times WPGA staff might have thought I was a royal pain in the back.
There is a teachable moment here for all, especially for WPGA. My suggestions are:
- Request publishable photo submissions at the expense of upload times instead of small images, especially those that pass the first round
- Prepare the book layout ahead of time, needing only to drop in the photos, the next one should be better I hope
- On the Web site, make sure there are update no less than every 2-3 weeks. These need not be too detailed but inform the waiting participants what to expect. Inform, inform, inform! It is easier to ignore the information than to wonder what on earth might be happening
- If necessary, hire an outside designer to complete the book if human resources is an issue
- Never ignore messages from me!! ;-)